Why is is important to ground and protect ourselves?
Grounding is balancing out the spiritual and physical energy in your body by connecting yourself with the earth. When you are grounded you feel like you are here: in the physical, in the present.
It is especially important for healers, mediums, intuitives, and other types of energy workers to practice these techniques to keep balanced. But, grounding is great for anyone, even those with anxiety!
The Benefits Of Being Grounded
- Enhancing Life Force: the energies of the root chakra and the earth are our most primal and vital energies. An ungrounded life is a life mostly not lived, not engaged with.
- Safety, presence & belonging: feeling safe and secure on earth and the global tribe is a function of the root chakra. Good grounding is synonymous with feeling and knowing that you belong, and are safely held in the human community.
- Healthy and adapted living in the world – being able to operate in the three dimensional world with structures such as time, having a job, paying taxes, doing necessary paperwork – being able to be “in the world” is very much a function of the root chakra
- Pleasure, joy & ecstasy: related to life force- the state of joy and pleasure is a natural one, and our birthright. The very sensation of pleasure requires us to be embodied; connecting deeper into our bodies (ex: grounding deeper) opens up the channels for us to feel more of life’s richness.
- Enhancing your intuitive and psychic abilities. All ‘psychic’ abilities like clairvoyance, clairsentience and clairaudience are to do with sensing energy, via our energetic sensory organs, which are the chakras.
What Does Being Ungrounded Feel Like?
- A feeling of being ‘Spaced Out’
- Feeling sick
- Heart palpitations
- Eyes flickering
- Weight gain
- Static shocks
- Falling asleep when meditating
- Noise and light sensitive
- Having brilliant ideas that never happen
- Arguing and unable to get your point across
(Please note that many of these symptoms can also be linked to other physical conditions or illnesses, if in doubt always check with your GP. Light and energy work is complementary to general medicine and should not be viewed as a substitute.)
How To Become More Grounded?
Here are some things you can do to help bring you back down to earth:
- Eating (hence sometimes the weight gain) – healthy & balanced.
- Drinking water
- Walking, especially in natural surroundings
- Sports, yoga, tai chi etc.
- Connecting with nature, hiking, gardening, etc.
- Salt baths
- Animals eg. walking the dog
- Being purposeful
- Visualization of roots/colour
- Carrying/working with crystals (such as: hematite, smoky quartz, jasper, tiger’s eye, black tourmaline, shungite, boji stones, etc)
The intricacy of the human energy bodies requires us to keep all of them interacting in some sort of harmony. The hugely simple tool is grounding. Learning how to ground ourselves and especially by practicing it, not just daily, but many times throughout the day, you will find that the ability to move through your day will be clearer and easier.