Many clients after a healing session can go so deep into relaxation that they “forget” or “leave” the present state. They may experience a slight disorientation (“floaty” feeling) when returning to the present moment, especially if they experienced theta brainwaves (deep meditation) during the healing session. Take a few minutes to collect yourself before getting off the table, because this will help ensure you are firmly anchored in the present time. If you experience disorientation, dizziness, or a floating feeling after sitting up for a minute, let your practitioner (Me) know, and he/she/I will perform a grounding exercise to firmly anchor your spirit in “here and now” moment. After a Reiki or any healing session, it is advisable to go home and relax, because this ensures the maximum benefit from the treatment.
As the Reiki energy continues to work in your body and re-balance your energy, expect your body to detoxify. If your body is releasing toxins into your bloodstream faster than they can be processed, it may trigger detoxification symptoms. This is temporary as your body adjusts itself back into balance. Be sure to drink plenty of water to assist the detoxification process.
Some people may experience one or more of the following healing and detoxification symptoms after a session:
- Frequent urination and/or bowel movements
- Feeling emotional, emotional release, or emotional shifts
- Crying for no apparent reason
- Feeling on top of the world or buzzing with energy
- Fatigue, feeling overtired, needing to sleep or rest
- Sleeping 8-12 hours overnight
- Tingling sensations
- Feeling hot or cold
- Skin detox symptoms such as blemishes or pimples
- Traveling aches and pains throughout body
- Temporary “Flu-like” symptoms
- Headaches, dizziness, or nausea
The symptoms listed above are all positive signs that your body is bringing itself back into balance. It is also normal if you do not experience any of the symptoms above. In fact, many people don’t have any symptoms. If you experience any symptoms for an extended period of time after a session, it was not caused by the healing session or Reiki. You have an illness or other medical condition which you should address with your Medical Professional immediately. Reiki detox symptoms are minor and temporary in nature, and they should not last longer than 24 hours. If you have any concerns or questions about unexpected symptoms, please call or email me.
Because Reiki causes your body to detoxify, it is essential to drink water to help your body re-adjust and remove toxins. To continue to help facilitate your healing process, please follow the steps below after a session:
- Drink lots of water to remove any toxins (6-8 glasses/day)
- Be aware of emotional shifts. Spend some time alone if needed.
- If you have any spiritual or religious practices such as tai chi, yoga, meditation, or prayer, spend time nurturing your spiritual connection with those activities.
- Avoid additional toxins, such as caffeine, smoking, and alcohol for a few days
- Be gentle with yourself and avoid strenuous or stressful activity (including exercise) for a few days if needed. Listen to your body.
- Get plenty of rest
- Avoid eating a heavy meal after a treatment. Try to keep your diet light while your body is using its energy for healing.
- Eat nutritional foods, lots of colorful produce, grounding greens, nuts, and protein.
- Continue all current medical treatment plans (Reiki is not a substitute for medical or mental health care.)
- Make notes of any experiences you have to share with your Reiki Professional (Me) during your next treatment.
- Having a sea salt or Epsom salt bath will aid in detoxification and reduce symptoms.
Awareness is a vital component of wellness. Observe any changes in energy, mood, feelings, memories, thoughts, behaviors, reactions, etc. Often times, Reiki,and my healing sessions can bring up deep, underlying issues to the surface if you are paying attention. This will help you identify the true root cause of your issue(s) and symptoms. If you clear up the emotional, mental, or energetic root cause(s) behind your issue(s), you will no longer have the physical symptoms and they will not return. Reiki reinforces your ability to take responsibility for your own life and helps you make the necessary changes in attitude and lifestyle to promote a happy, healthy life. The healing doesn’t end after we are done the session. It is up to you to continue to do the work between sessions. I call this “healing homework.”
The effects of Reiki build and gather momentum over time.Therefore, it is advised to receive a treatment every 4-8 weeks to initiate the healing process. This is usually enough to produce a significant change without the need for regular sessions; although, many clients do choose to receive monthly sessions for the deep relaxation that the treatment provides.
Some long-standing conditions may require repeat Reiki treatments, and it may take a few sessions for you to notice significant improvement. While it is possible for an immediate positive response, you should not expect an instantaneous change for long-standing conditions.
This is all a normal part of the healing process.